Staff Fullstack Engineer
Join a mashup of energy enthusiasts and creative tech wizards who are taking the fight to climate change. Disrupt and reimagine the energy experience using modern technologies.
Arcadia is a technology company revolutionizing the energy industry. We make choosing clean energy easy for everyone, no matter where you live or who your utility provider is. Founded in 2015, Arcadia set out with one purpose that continues to drive us today: a 100% clean energy future.
As a Full Stack Engineer, you will directly contribute to democratizing access to clean energy by building the technology that makes it happen, and the user experiences that make it intuitive. You’ll work across the stack, contribute to scalable systems, and dive headfirst into technical material. In doing so, you will unlock a more human relationship with energy; accelerating everyone’s agency to choose renewables, and hopefully stabilize our climate before it’s too late.
What we’re looking for:
We are seeking a resourceful and versatile Staff Full Stack Engineer to join the Engineering team to help bring our visions to life. The ideal candidate is a low-ego team player who approaches engineering problems and potential solutions with a unique, holistic, and long-term perspective, and is genuinely excited to build the software expanding renewable energy access to millions of households across the country. We're looking for an inquisitive problem-solver who possesses both grit and flexibility in the face of a rapidly changing regulatory landscape -- our work often involves implementing unconventional solutions and requires someone who’s not afraid to explore new domains when previous methods fail, sort through minute details, or find non-engineering ways around a problem. This person must be comfortable with iterating towards a solution and collaborating closely with colleagues in Product, Design, Marketing, and Analytics along the way.
This role is based in Washington, D.C., or New York, NY, and is an exceptional opportunity for someone who relishes the chance to engage with cutting-edge technology, influence how our team builds and stays relevant, and work in a fast-paced environment with engineers on a high-morale, tightly knit team. Our engineering values are deeply ingrained in our culture-- you can read more about them here.
What you'll do:
- Partner with Product, Design, Marketing, and Analytics to deliver the best possible product for our members and enterprise partners
- Design and develop robust, scalable back-end systems
- Build and maintain complex APIs that securely communicate between back-end and front-end applications
- Create highly performant front-end applications that are beautiful and intuitive for the user
- Frequently deploy new functionality to production with a streamlined CI/CD pipeline
- Explore new technologies with an open-minded team
- Increase test coverage and reliability and help troubleshoot production issues
- Collaborate frequently with other engineers, give thoughtful code review, and mentor junior engineers
- Notice and speak up about opportunities to improve both the member and developer experience
What will help you succeed:
The following list reflects our current technology stack-- you’ll need to have some overlapping or analogous experience, but not necessarily an exact match. We expect engineers to have familiarity across the full stack, but some may be more focused on the front- or back-end.
- 5+ years of experience in a senior software engineering role, supporting high-availability, large-scale web applications
- Experience with the programming languages we use:
- Experience with back-end frameworks and platforms that align with our stack:
- Ruby on Rails
- Apollo (GraphQL)
- Experience with front-end frameworks that align with our stack:
- Experience with infrastructure found in our stack:
- Postgres or similar relational database
- AWS (Lambda, SQS, etc.)
- Strong communication skills and the ability to translate complex technical concepts into clear, actionable information for product managers, designers, data analysts, and other engineers
- Experience mentoring and coaching engineers across the stack and across experience levels; demonstrated ability to provide constructive feedback in code and design reviews
- Demonstrated ability to model software engineering best practices for the team, including writing tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting
- Ability to scope, prioritize, and deliver on projects, managing the balance between shipping code quickly and shipping perfect code perfection
- Ability and internal drive to problem-solve, both creatively and pragmatically
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Passion for our mission, sustainability, and drive a clean-energy future
- Market-based compensation (salary + equity)
- Healthcare, dental, vision, 401(k) and commuter benefits
- Paid Time Off (holidays, vacation, professional development, volunteer, parental leave)
- A supportive engineering culture that values diversity, empathy, teamwork, trust, and efficiency
- Professional development opportunities
- All-company lunches
- Free clean energy
- A chance to decarbonize and disrupt the energy sector
Eliminating carbon footprints, eliminating carbon copies.
Here at Arcadia, we cultivate diversity, celebrate individuality, and believe unique perspectives are key to our collective success in creating a clean energy future. Arcadia is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. While we are currently unable to consider candidates who will require visa sponsorship, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates eligible to work in the United States.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Switch to clean solar and wind energy