Does This Sound Like You?
- You enjoy applying your first principles approach to understanding nuances of complex engineering and physics concepts
- Strong understanding of implications of interactions and conflicts between complex systems
- Proven ability to manage complex mechanical system integration
- Able to recognize, identify, troubleshoot, and resolve challenges across multiple systems
- Ability to recognize how challenges within one system may be resolved through changes to one or more different systems
- You care more about understanding WHAT a system needs to do, and less about how it does it
- You take a full world view as part of your daily routine
- Appreciate the value in transforming system requirements into clear, concise verification plans
- You understand and enjoy the framework of a “System of Systems” approach
- You enjoy collaborating with driven, passionate individuals across various teams
- You want to use your talents to change the world for the better!
If this sounds like you, General Fusion’s Systems Engineer role may be the perfect fit!
General Fusion is seeking an experienced Systems Engineer to join our Fusion Demonstration Plant (FDP) team. The Systems Engineer will take ownership of the Systems Engineering tasks associated with the design and development of several of the Demonstration Plant’s systems. In this collaborative role, the successful candidate will work closely with Design Engineering to ensure several large electro-mechanical systems are defined, designed, and built to meet the program goals. Please note, this position is not a software system engineering role.
(What You’ll Be Doing!)
- Writing, maintaining and updating functional and performance requirements for the systems.
- Defining systems boundaries and interfaces.
- Identifying, tracking, deriving, maintaining and updating requirements that stem from interactions that cross system boundaries.
- Working with the Design Engineering team to ensure that design verification and validation plans meet the program goals.
- Tracking requirements verification and systems validation.
- Identifying challenges in meeting design requirements and or maintaining performance margins; working with the Design Engineering teams and the Director of Program Management to resolve these challenges in a manner that continues to meet the program goals.
- Engaging all stakeholders before changing / updating requirements and margin allocations; communicating all changes to all stakeholders.
- Working with the team developing and maintaining performance models for the FDP so they accurately reflect and inform design and requirements changes.
- Working with the Senior Vice President of Prototype Deployment and their team, to capture requirements stemming from assembly, commissioning, testing, operating, servicing, lifetime extension and de-commissioning of the demonstration plant
- Acting as a systems administrator for managing and maintaining the Systems Engineering information management tools.
Relevant Skills and Experience:
(What You Bring!)
- 5+ years of experience as a systems engineer on a multi-disciplinary system-of-systems project or experience as a subject matter expert (e.g. control systems engineer, electro-mechanical engineer, diagnostics engineer, etc.) working with a systems engineer on a system-of systems project.
- Practical experience transitioning novel, emerging technologies into one-of-a-kind engineering projects.
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing systems’ designs and requirements.
- Experience writing requirements or designing systems to meet explicitly defined requirements.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, and an ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Hands on experience designing / building / assembling machinery.
- Experience with a systems engineering database using configuration management controls.
- Experience writing or executing a Systems Engineering Plan or components of a Systems Engineering Plan (Verification and Validation Plan, Integration Plan, etc.).
- Experience writing interface definition documents.
Bachelor’s degree in Systems Engineering or other engineering discipline with relevant industrial experience
What We Offer:
- Flexible hours
- Four weeks’ vacation
- Comprehensive benefits package
- RRSP Contribution
- Support for professional development
- Great company culture – social events, food trucks, bike rides, Sun Run, etc.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org noting “Job Ref# RR-2021-67” in the email subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
General Fusion is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.
Your application has been successfully submitted.