Mechanical Design Engineer
Gradient’s mission is to cool the world by transforming every home to be more comfortable and healthy for the people who inhabit it — without compromising the environment. Today, heating and cooling equipment emits more greenhouse gas emissions than the entire transportation sector, and expansion in the use of cooling is projected to double these emissions in the next 30 years. However, comfortable buildings are critical for health and productivity, especially among communities that are vulnerable to the effects of climate change. Gradient’s vision is a future where everyone has access to comfortable buildings that are fully decarbonized. Our launch product is a direct-to-consumer high-efficiency and low-carbon heat pump.
The ideal Mechanical Design Engineer will join our product development team and contribute to key subsystems that interface with the user. Specifically, this engineer will work on Gradient’s innovative installation bracket and incorporate industrial design guidance in all products in Gradient’s roadmap.
- Own mechanical design of all installation system components, including brackets, window sealing materials, exterior chassis/cover parts.
- Incorporate design improvements and prototype methods to improve user experience around Gradient’s installation process.
- Expand Gradient’s heat pump design to accommodate windows of various sizes and opening types, based on market requirements and customer needs.
- Run Design for Manufacture (DFM) reviews, and provide DFM feedback on mechanical prototypes and designs.
- Build upon product requirements and industrial design direction to design mechanical components, identity suppliers, and source components for prototypes through to production volume builds.
- Support in supply chain management and vendor selection for mechanical components.
- Work with the production and hardware teams to develop testing fixtures and assembly stations for design verification.
- Design sub-assemblies and components in CAD, including sheet metal and plastic parts with complex 3D surfaces.
- Develop and maintain excellent documentation, while actively contributing to Treau’s quality system.
- Shared commitment to building world-positive businesses and products, from climate change mitigation to design as a tool for increased human well-being.
- Ability to work with and communicate with engineering and business teams, manufacturing facilities, and partner suppliers.
- Ability to work independently and adapt quickly to a dynamic startup environment, and to seek additional help/resources when needed.
- Experience with rapid prototyping and fabrication of mechanical assemblies.
- Experience with sheet metal design, including weldments.
- Experience with performing tolerance stack-ups.
- Experience with structural analysis and FEA.
- Shipped 1 or more hardware products.
- Expert proficiency in Solidworks.
- BS, MS, or higher degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Experience with Six Sigma or Lean Manufacturing best practices.
- Advanced experience with Design for Manufacture and Design for Assembly of systems with mechanical, electrical, and software components.
- Experience with thermal solutions and IoT products.
- Experience designing mechanical components for outdoor applications.
- Previous experience in the HVAC or energy sector.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We’re on a mission to build a healthier, more comfortable world for all those who inhabit it — without compromising the environment.