IT Support Engineer
IT Support Engineer
Finance & Administration
Union of Concerned Scientists
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit that uses science to protect our health, safety, and environment. We are scientists, engineers, economists, activists and everyday people who develop and advocate for innovative, practical solutions to some of our planet’s most pressing problems—from combating global warming and developing sustainable ways to feed, power, and transport ourselves, to fighting misinformation, advancing racial equity, and reducing the threat of nuclear war.
The Information Technology department at UCS supports all UCS staff with their computing needs. We are looking for an experienced IT Support Engineer to work from our office in Washington, DC. Under the direction of the Director of Information Technology, the IT Support Engineer will be responsible for user support. The right candidate will manage the day-to-day relationship with an external IT services provider; monitor open cases; and work with external support personnel and engineers to ensure that UCS staff receive prompt and excellent support.
The IT Support Engineer’s responsibilities will also include:
· Providing support to UCS staff in our four offices and staff who work remotely (currently most staff are remote because of COVID-19)
· Managing a fixed asset inventory of all IT equipment
· Creating a schedule for the timely replacement of equipment, using this information to inform the development of the yearly capital budget
· Providing direct user support to UCS staff in its Washington, DC, office: installing and configuring new computers, planning and managing scheduled upgrades, obtaining replacement parts and solving user issues not resolved through our external vendor
· Setting up and managing all desktop hardware and software, maintaining and supporting mobile devices, and supporting offsite office locations and global travel for workforce
· Providing oversight on support queue and ensuring all incidents and requests are resolved in a timely manner
· Serving as enterprise expert on all IT end user needs
· Ensuring the root causes of problems are understood and addressed; verifying fixes and obtaining end user validation
· Supporting Security Standards (anti-virus/anti-spam/firewall/patching)
· Ensuring standardization of configurations and control if latest hardware and software updates are provided
· Driving initiatives that will create more efficiency and accuracy
Qualifications and Experience
This position requires a motivated team player to be a part of our support processes working with an external IT vendor. High level knowledge of Windows operating systems, virtualization, Active Directory, Office 365, Exchange, and experience providing remote support. Knowledge of SharePoint, MS SQL server and SQL databases administration helpful. Lead and support UCS administrative staff in handling support calls, providing technical information to staff in a professional manner.
· BA in Computer Science or related discipline preferred.
· 3- 5 years of comparable experience in a fast-paced environment
· Experience with configuration and troubleshooting of desktop PC/mobile device hardware and software (Windows and Mac OS)
· Proficient knowledge in administering Active Directory, Exchange and Office 365, network administration, Microsoft operating systems and Microsoft office suite
· Knowledge of cross-platform/browser development issues
· Ability to communicate technical concepts clearly and professionally to non-technical users
· Ability to organize and prioritize work effectively to meet timelines with quality deliverables
· Strong organization and problem-solving skills required
· Must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality
Spends extended periods at computer.
Five to 10 days of overnight travel may be required per year mainly to our other offices in Chicago, Oakland, CA, and Cambridge, MA.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer actively seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities.
This is a full-time position based in UCS’s DC Office. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $60,000. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment.
Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org.
Comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
More about the team:
Our team is made up of a dedicated group of researchers, scientists, communicators, campaigners, and advocates from wide-ranging backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team and a collaborative and supportive work environment where all staff can thrive. We continually strive to create an environment which is a welcoming place for the LGBTQ+ community, people of color, parents, empty-nesters, and people with a wide variety of interests and backgrounds.
A note on the pandemic:
During the coronavirus pandemic our staff are working from home. We will resume working from our offices, travel, and in-person meetings when it is safe to do so.
To Apply: We know there are great candidates who won’t check all of these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we haven’t considered. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. Please upload a cover letter and resume. In the cover letter, please confirm that the listed salary meets your expectations. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please. https://apply.workable.com/j/0BCCB5B671
Deadline: December 15 or until filled.
Your application has been successfully submitted.