Director of Nutrition Research
This job is no longer accepting applications.
At Beyond Meat, we started with simple questions. Why do you need an animal to create meat? Why can’t you build meat directly from plants? Thus, we make plant-based meats that allow families to eat more, not less, of the traditional dishes they love while feeling great about the health, sustainability, and animal welfare benefits of plant protein. Our goal is to bring exciting change to the plate—and Beyond.
The Director of Nutrition Research will lead the nutrition program and provide scientific guidance for new products and use scientific principles and expertise, and a broad range of advanced technologies for achieving company nutritional and dietary goals. This successful, self-motivated, and result-oriented individual will have familiarity, as well as hands on expertise on investigating the potential health benefits of plant-based food by deciphering the metabolic and physiological responses of the body to dietary intakes. The candidate will also have a deep understanding of fatty acids, minerals, vitamins, fibers, carbohydrates, blood lipids and lipoproteins, microbiome, inflammatory markers, glucose, insulin, and body composition.
- Use scientific guidance to lead nutritional research on plant-based foods
- Deliver scientific interpretation, due diligence, and technical fortitude for product formulations, labeling and advertising claims
- Lead and deliver scientific research projects that align with business initiatives
- Actively support the innovation stage gate process: brainstorming and ideation sessions, concept development, concept screening, feasibility and commercialization
- Monitor and analyze new scientific information related to dietary intakes and dietary ingredients within subject matter expertise; disseminate relevant information to key internal stakeholders
- Contribute new ideas within your subject matter expertise that drive consumer health through scientific and technical insights
- Leverage internal and external technology capabilities to help develop products that match or exceed consumer needs and provide a significant nutritional advantage
- Build cross-functional support when appropriate and develop project plans to drive development and implementation
- Continuously search for and vet advanced technologies that complement areas of strategic focus
- Preserve all forms of intellectual and material property generated from the above activities, including writing patents, writing protocols for novel processes
- Maintain a safe working environment
- Ph.D. in Nutrition Science, Food Science, Biomedical Science, Pharmacology, or a similar field with a strong background in physiology and nutrition science
- 10+ years of experience preferred in scientific studies evaluation for product development, clinical trial design, development and execution
- Ability to apply knowledge of human physiology and clinical nutrition to meet consumer needs
- Demonstrated skills in critical thinking, evaluation of scientific research, study design, and analysis and interpretation of scientific data
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results
- Ability to continually integrate new learnings with existing knowledge
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
- Experience working in a matrix and highly collaborative team orientated environment
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and multi-tasking skills, as well as the ability to interact and collaborate successfully with all levels and functional areas
- Laboratory, office, and kitchen environments with some travel (5%)
- Frequent sitting at a desk, communication-using computer and phone
Your application has been successfully submitted.